Pages

Saturday, September 28, 2024

Samuel L. Jackson Discussing Pulp Fiction with GQ Magazine

Hollywood celebrity Samuel L. Jackson sat down with GQ to discuss some of his past roles and shares that he would now rather choose to play a blockbuster Marvel role than try to "handpick" roles in the hunt to try to win an Oscar.

Samuel L. Jackson
Samuel L. Jackson

Samuel L. Jackson: "Who, who watches this?"

GQ Magazine: "So it goes on our YouTube channel and also on GQ.com. It's got pretty big viewership, I feel like your episode is gonna be a particularly special episode...millions of viewers."

Samuel L. Jackson: "And they got 40 minutes worth of [expletive] to say?"

Samuel L. Jackson and his Role in Pulp Fiction

First they spoke about his role of Jules Winnfield in Pulp Fiction.

Quentin Tarantino and Lawrence Bender
Quentin Tarantino and Lawrence Bender


Samuel L. Jackson: "I had auditioned for Reservoir Dogs and didn't get it, cause I auditioned with Quentin [Tarantino] and Lawrence Bender and they were horrible so I saw him at Sundance [movie festival] at the first screening of Reservoir Dogs and he said, 'How'd you like the guy that got your part?' so he remembered me. I was like, 'You remembered me?' [Tarantino said], 'Yes, yes, I'm writing something, I'll send it, you'll get it.' I did get the script like 2 weeks later and it came in a little brown bag with some gangsters on the front of it and it said, 'If you show this to anybody, I will find you and kill you.' So...and I read it, I was like [expletive]. Really? I couldn't believe it, so I flipped it over and read it again immediately. Okay, if they shoot this movie, and let it be what it is right here on the page, it's going to be awesome...but we didn't shoot exactly what was on the page, but we still got through it."

Samuel L. Jackson: "If I want to change something, I'll write it and show it to him and he'll either okay it or say, 'No.' I've been allowed to change things but I don't do it in front of other people. In Pulp Fiction, in the original script, in the diner when Tim first comes over and he asks about the briefcase, he opens it up, and when he opens it up, I shoot Honey Bunny off the bar, and then I shoot his ass, and kill him. They do a cut, and then I open my eyes and that's what I would have done before I got the vision in the house and I don't kill anybody and he's still standing there, so that's not there."

Samuel L. Jackson: "I mean, there are people who do their whole careers and nobody remembers anything. A lot of things I saw in movies, people still say to me, so I don't know if it's me, if its the writing. My favorite line from Pulp Fiction is: 'What country are you from? What language do they speak in what?'"

You can see the interview on YouTube below:







No comments: