Pages

Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Shia LaBeouf is Done with Alec Baldwin Feud on Late Show with David Letterman

David Letterman interviewing Shia LaBeouf (with Joaquin Phoenix beard)

Shia LaBeouf thinks Alec Baldwin is a great guy. At least that’s what he says on the Late Show with David Letterman in bearded form. He reminds me of when the Joaquin Phoenix interview when Joaquin Phoenix is in character and David Letterman roasts him in front of his audience.

The interview takes place on April 1, 2013, but Shia LaBeouf is absolutely serious in everything he shares.

As you watch the clip from David Letterman’s Late Show (available on the CBS website), you sense that David Letterman is trying to get laughs at Shia’s expense. That’s a no-brainer. Shia LaBeouf appears to be in the hot seat. I also get from this interview that Shia LaBeouf sincerely wants to put this feud behind him so that it doesn’t affect future relationships in the business.

Bearded Shia LaBeouf laughing

The Feud Between Shia LaBeouf and Alec Baldwin


Alec Baldwin called Shia LaBeouf a “celebrity chef.” Shia LaBeouf responded by leaking two personal emails. The two actors had been going back and forth on Twitter.

Shia LaBeouf said on Twitter: “The theater belongs not to the great but to the brash…”

Alec Baldwin replied on Twitter: “Some of the greatest movie stars had really serious theater careers and still do. And many film actors, though, who are purely film actors, they’re kind of like celebrity chefs…You hand them the ingredients, and they whip it up, and they cook it, and they put it on a plate, and they want a round of applause. In the theater, we don’t just cook the food and serve it.”

Interpret that as you will.

On the Late Show, Shia LaBeouf chalks up his feud with Alec Baldwin as tension between men, not artists. Shia describes himself as passionate and impulsive, and that Alec is also passionate, creating fireworks between the two actors.

Shia LaBeouf revealed that he did go to see Orphans on opening night, and got a seat in the front row, because that’s all that was left. He seemed happy for his replacement, Ben Foster, as well.

Shia LaBeouf wants to end the feud. He now says [Alec] “He’s a good dude…he’s a good dude. He’s terrific.” Dave says, “He’s a tremendous actor.” Shia agrees, “Yes.”

Shia LaBeouf and Alec Baldwin had "tension as men," as explained to Dave


Dave asks Shia how he felt going into starring in Orphans. Shia says he felt pretty strongly about it.
Dave then asks, “Then why did you get fired?” “Because me [Shia] and Alec had tension as men. Not as artists, but as men. When you got tension as men, it’s a hard thing to deal with…its cool for increments, but I think to do that for a long period of time, it’s tough.”

Dave: “Had you known Alec before?”

Shia: “I met Alec briefly before we started.”

Dave: “And how would you describe your relationship with him now?”

Shia: “Uh, I hope it’s pretty good, I mean he’s a pretty…he’s a good actor, and I wish him the best of luck.”

Dave: “Can I suggest a couple of scenarios?”

Humble Shia LaBeouf on Late Show with David Letterman
Shia: “Sure.”

Dave: “Alec went to the producers and said, ‘I can’t take it another day, fire him.’”

Shia: “I think that, I think that might’ve been what had happened.”

Dave (acting shocked): “Really?!?”

Audience reacts with laughter, because Dave is trying to get a laugh out of the situation.

Dave: “No, I just made that up, how could that be…I mean, what happened?”

Audience is still laughing.

Dave: “Creative differences?”

Shia LaBeouf looking away as audience laughs on Late Show
Shia LaBeouf: “I think that’s what you got to say as a business-savvy answer. What…what the…(Shia looks to the audience because their laughter distracts him from his thought)…what actually happened.”

Dave then attempts to suggest that the situation is similar to Jeremy Piven, who had to cancelled a theater show due to mercury poisioning. Shia knows what Dave is trying to do here, and shrugs it off as nothing similar to the food poisoning situation.

Dave then wraps up the interview by saying how badly he wants to mend this broken relationship and if he could arrange them to meet on his show. Shia doesn’t think it to be very realistic, but offers some final words toward Alec Baldwin.

Shia: “I mean…I think that would be a tough one to pull off.” Audience laughs. “I’m all for it, but…”

Dave: “Will punches be thrown?”

Shia: “No punches thrown, no.” He looks serious and audience laughs again. Awkward moment ensues, very reminiscent of the Joaquin Phoenix interview.

Dave: “Well, I don’t know what to say because I, I admire your work, I don’t know you as well as I know Alec, but Alec to me is like…the guy…”

Shia: “He is the guy.” Shia says very seriously.

Dave: “…and I’d like to see this reconciled, somehow.”

Shia: “Here it is, right here.” Shia looks straight at the camera. “Alec, I think you’re awesome. That’s it, you know, that’s it. That’s it. That’s it.” The audience claps.

After watching this video, Shia LaBeouf appears to be sorry for his actions in the feud, and really looked like he meant every word that he said to David Letterman. It takes a man to apologize when you have done wrong, and I believe Shia LaBeouf took the first step in resolving this issue as a man.

Shia LaBeouf apologizes to Alec Baldwin


No comments: